[Bsa-troop85] Summer camp journal - Tuesday edition

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 07:48:05 CDT 2013

Apparently there was a problem with delivery of the email edition last
night.  Facebook group members enjoyed the edition a bit earlier.  (Tulsa
troop 85 NEW).

Two days to the ham bar.

The boys enjoyed monday evening <x-apple-data-detectors://0> in the camp
and spent time building a fire.   It might come as a shock to some of you,
but the boys seem to really like playing with fire.   In a matter of
minutes, led by the example set by Ryan and Tyler,  Garrison learned the
art of standing in the fire pit....with the fire.

Day two of the mile swim training was warmer ...which  in some respects
made the water feel even colder.   11 of the 50 swimmers  from Monday
 didn't make it to day two.

Although cutting it a bit close, we made it to the Chapel service on time
for the second day.   I noticed Tyler chose to lumber out of camp with his
shoes untied....since  I'm sure would get in his fathers nerves, I asked
him "what are you thinking?!"    You should all be happy that, with no
prodding, your sons are respectfully taking their hats off during prayer
and flag ceremony.  They have also taken charge of cleaning the restrooms
and showers without being told.   It all makes me very happy.  Or as Uncle
SI would say  happy happy happy.  I'm sure they are all just as helpful at
home.

Apparently money must be a little tight this year at camp.  The kitchen
staff has contracted with the National Hockey League to supply hockey
pucks.  The ones that were not quite hard enough were served with sausage
gravy this morning for breakfast <x-apple-data-detectors://1>.  Most of the
boys chose cereal and sausage links.  Lunch was hamburgers. I will use this
as the opportunity to let you know all the boys seem to be getting a
balanced diet.  Grains, veggies, protein with a foundation of high fructose
corn syrup.

At first I was so pleased that many of the new scouts are easy to spot
since they are  wearing the bright orange scout shirts.  I assumed  it
meant they bought several of the shirts. However, upon further
investigation I learned they have been wearing same shirts since Sunday.
 They do shower, but then put the same shirt back on.   Similarly the older
boys have to  be told the instructions to card games REPEATEDLY.   I'm not
saying your boys are  slow, inattentive, or hard headed ... but

This afternoon some of the boys received care package. The  bubbles
provided some excitement.   Others were crushed and felt unloved....
Parents you know who you are.

Everyone made it to their morning merit badges with very little guidance.
Mr. Ables and Gillespie started their first aid class today.   The storm
many of you were worried about rolled in about
10:50<x-apple-data-detectors://2>,
dropped about 20 drops of rain and was over by 10:50:30.

We broke out the washers game just before lunch.  Although the boys seemed
to turn their nose up at it at first, as soon as Tyler and Mr Ross started
playing several scouts  wanted a turn.  In spite of Tyler's disrespect of
the game by continuously walking in the path of mr Ross' throws ... Mr Ross
beat him 20-11.  I hear of plans for tournaments later in the week.

The parents from last year may remember the trading post was selling
tarantulas for the boys to take home as gifts.   Well this year in a
cooperative effort between the environmental protection agency, the
Oklahoma  forestry service an the oklahoma Boy Scouts they are trying to
reintroduce an nearly endangered native insect to various areas of the
state.   Each boy will be given the chance to bringing  home a breeding
pair they should then keep for 2 weeks until they are mature.  They should
be kept away from pets and small children.   Although their bite is
innocuous, it does leave a welt which can be treated with a dose of
Benadryl.  I believe it is called an assassin bug, but I don't know the
specific scientific name.  I think you may be able to google Oklahoma
endangered species, but it may not yet be listed.  Picture attached and
included in the photos posted earlier.

Garrison and Colin said to tell their parents howdy as I was typing the
note.

Garrison was having a relaxing afternoon watching ants jump off the picnic
table onto his leg.

I'm signing off to go to my CPR recertification and fee time.  All are well
and safe.

Quotes of the day:

Scout-" oh, that is a big butt lie". This was not one of our own scouts and
if you had seen the scout it would be funnier.

Adult-"I don't care who you cut in front of as long as your behind me". (Mr
Ross to the scouts from other troops on honor of Mr Lindsey who could not
be here this year).

Things I learned :

1- have someone else proofread your notes.
2-Caramel macchiato creamer is a nice addition to your coffee.   When you
offer it to the adult leaders in the adjacent camp they move really fast to
get some before its gone.

 RETRACTION:  First, I should note that I chose the field of engineering
because the syllabus required only 3 hours of English.  Second, one section
of Monday's  edition of the update I missed an autocorrection mistake.  The
paragraph from yesterday should have read:

Yesterday I failed to mention the boys also worked on knot tying with the
new scouts and built several camp gadgets including a flag pole, a hat
rack, weather rock and wash station. (Pictures to follow).  I was very
impressed and think it was some of the best work I've seen out of our boys.
 Sunday evening <x-apple-data-detectors://4> went very well.  I
particularly liked garrison And Colin's hat rack.  The cool weather at
night is perfect.