[Bsa-troop85] Friday edition summer camp journal

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 20:41:12 CDT 2013

After today's issue the paper will be shut down for another year. I've had
a great time with the boys and adults this week and would encourage you all
to begin making plans to attend next year.

It was 58 degrees this morning when we rolled out of bed.  I've been
attending camp since 2006 and the best trick I learned was to skip the
sleeping bag and just bring a sheet because it can be warm at night.  Many
of the boys also follow this advice.   Today I was cold.

The stray cat from next door  (see picture) showed up again today.  When he
realized we didn't have the creamer out yet he marched right into Don's
tent, while he was sill sleeping, and helped himself to the cooler.
Taking things off the top of the cooler and laying them on top of don while
he slept.

You would be surprised to see how eager each of your boys is to provided
the morning prayer before breakfast in front of hundreds of people.  Notice
I said surprised not proud.   While it is sill an admirable venture, I
suspect a significant portion of the motivation is that the troop that
prays gets to go eat first.

Id like to thank Mr. Curry, Gillespie, Ables and the Chaffins  for
providing the supervision this week.  It has been  great fun to work with
them and getting to know each of them better.  Please be sure to personally
thank each of them when you next see them.   ALSO, you may not realize we
owe  Mr Ables an especially big debt of thanks. He did not even have a
scout attending.   If he had not joined us it would have been a much
greater challenge this week.

Please start blocking off time now to serve as a chaperone next year. Due
to the philmont trip being so close to summer camp I have little doubt we
will need others to step  forward.

Some of the boys (Ben , Dylan and Paul) have enjoyed the activity of tree
fishing.  They attached a hook of some kind (s hook ) to the end of a rope
and toss  into the trees to see if they can hook something.  I think the
batman grappling hook has been their inspiration.  I heard arguments over
who was the better batman.

At least one of the scouts  is getting a little delirious today.  he was
heard singing songs from the 80s and Actually knows the tune ....  I'm not
naming names, but there was some good music from the era you could have
been teaching our  instead of   "electric avenue."

The boys spent much of the day gathering items to go ahead and load the
trailer this evening.  We will get up early tomorrow, Toss the final items
in the trailer, eat breakfast and be on the road..... Hopefully by or
before 745.

Regretfully I must again correct an editorial error.  Yesterday I reported
Ryan Lindsey had gained notoriety for throwing insect repellant soaked
sticks into his survival campfire.  He was wrongly accused.  It was
sunscreen not bug spray.  Aerosol products will be hereafter banned at Tom
hale under what will be known as the Ryan Rule.

Quotes of the day:

Scout-

Adult- "in Alaska they have 47 different words for snow.   In New Orleans
we have 47  different words for sketchy (as in sketchy people). "
(neighboring troop from Louisiana)

Things I learned :

1- although it may seem stupid to bring a long sleeve shirt to summer camp,
it is not.
2- half iced tea and half strawberry Kiwi punch is not the same as an
Arnold Palmer.... But it's not all bad
[image: image.jpeg]