[Bsa-troop85] Final Summer Camp Update & return trip info

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 09:44:07 CDT 2014

Hi all,

We'll we've almost survived our week of summer camp.  Actually, we've done
more than thrive, we've thrived.  One reason is the food.  Last night
for dessert--pudding.  Yum.  Though Mr. Curry Sr. tried it and reported
that it was, "disgusting."  Maybe the fact that it looked like a cream
cheese and the guy dishing it out was saying "get your runny cheese
here!"  Funny guy.  But not all the boys agreed with the assessment.
Next to me one boy (who will go unnammed) was licking the pudding off
his plate.  "Like pudding" I say.  "Yep," he answers.  Then he noticed
the boy across the table didn't get any pudding.  "You don't like
pudding?" the first boy asks "Nope." says the second.  "You're not
human!" says the first.  I then looked to my right and a third boy is
licking his plate.  Pudding brothers.

Last night I heard a conversation between a boy and his dad that illustrates the amazing amount of things that the scouts can do here. "Well Dad, I
had to go back to rifle shooting and I qualified.  We also had to finish our robot and last night I played four games of chess and got that
merit badge.  And Dad, I just got back from swimming!"  Lots of
variety.  Lots of interesting things and good training here.

Last night we had our fourth campfire in a row (that is if you count the
first night's campfire which technically wasn't since the fire never
started).  The mighty fighting Hobbit patrol again crushed the Armored
Turtle/Buffalo patrol (I guess one animal wasn't enough).  Much of the
reason for the Hobbit's dominance is the two Ryan's (Lindsey and
Gillespie).  Both provided great lung power.  They kept blowing well
beyond the time when there was no possible chance that the fire would go out.   They were like billows to a blacksmith's fire.  I think they
both still have their eyebrows.

Today is a free day.  They are out having fun.  Unfortunately it looks like
it's going to rain a lot.  That should make it interesting for Paul and
Ryan L. who are hiking up the mountain.  I'm sure they'll have a story
to tell.

Actually, all the boys will have lots of stories to tell.  They are all having
fun, learning stuff, and becoming men of character.  During the campfire everyone participated in some way.  And, amazingly, we've gone 4 days
without TV and I haven't heard any complaints.

If you would like to purchase an $8 photo of our troop, go here:  http://www.andysfineportraits.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=31&id=12285487&eventid=96345&imagename=DSCF4149-t85t.jpg

Return trip:  We will try to leave at 8:30am tomorrow.  That may be ambitious, but I hope we can leave by 9:00.  If we can, we should be back between
11:30 and 12:00.  We'll call on the road to let you know we're coming.

My thanks to Mike Ables, Robert Curry, Keith Trost and Paul Marsh for all
your help with these fine boys.  If you want an adventure, plan to come
next year!

Yours in Scouting,

--David