[Bsa-troop85] Camping this weekend -

Ray Earley RGEarley at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 16:00:55 CST 2014

I want to re-iterate the need for a sleeping pad, and point out how to
use a blanket if the bag is not warm enough.  As the boys will learn in
their advancement work, the sleeping bag warmth comes from the "dead
air" insulation of the bag (the thickness or loft of it when being
used).  The bottom of the bag then provides very little insulation
because of the body weight on it.  That's why the pad is so important,
to give insulation from the cold ground.

As for the blanket, if it is placed on top of the sleeping bag, it will
tend to push down on the bag and cause it to have less insulating value
-- so the blanket should go *inside *the sleeping bag to be most
effective, or it may do more harm than good.

YIS

Ray