[Bsa-troop85] Allan Abels Eagle Project

James Abels mike00003 at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 12:58:34 CST 2013

Ok, I don't think Allan's e-mails have been getting through so I am stepping in here to try and help. (Ray, Don, Richard, Jason, if you guys are the only ones who get this, please send it on to everyone else as we have been having a terrible time getting e-mails to go out. Thanks).
Today, Sunday, 2/3/2013, we will not be meeting to work Allan's project as he has merit badges to complete and will be working on those the next few days to finish them up.
Starting Tuesday 2/5/2013 thru Friday 2/8/2013 he will need volunteers from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM, we may shut down at 7:00 PM each night depending on how much work is left. Volunteers do not have to stay the whole time, any amount of time they can stay and work on Allan's project will be greatly appreciated. Scouts do get service project hours for this, and if you have service project sheets from school, make sure you bring them.  3 to 4 Adults or older scouts will be needed to help move the timbers around as they get worked on each day.
What is left to do is mainly sanding the bench pieces and fitting the back rest and arm pieces. The sealer will be applied once the benches are installed out at Oxley. Allan is looking to spend Tuesday, and Wednesday, doing the bulk of the sanding. on Thursday he will have you finish what ever sanding is needed and will start fitting up the back rest and arm pieces. On Friday he will have you finish up fitting the back rest and arm pieces. Thursday and Friday it will be absolutely necessary to have 3 or 4 adults to help hold up the back rest while the arms are fitted.
All he will need one person to bring is one hand held belt sander if someone has one, otherwise he is already well covered on tools already loaned by others or owned by us. ( F.Y.I. 60, 80, 120 and 220 sand paper is what he is using to get a smooth surface).  There will be a lot of dust so wear old clothes, we have dust masks but please bring safety glasses and work gloves.
On Saturday 2/9/2013 the benches will be taken out to Oxley to be installed. Allan will need two Volunteers with pickup trucks to show up at our house at 8:30 AM to load the benches. Between the two drivers and Allan and myself we should be able to handle it. He will need more volunteers to show up at The Oxley Nature Center to help install the benches. As many as possible please. We will work from 10:00 AM till 4:30 PM although I doubt it will take that long. There will be pizza for lunch.
On Saturday Allan will have you pour concrete in the forms that are already on site, assemble and install the benches, and coat the benches with sealer. Again, service hours will be awarded.
He will need volunteers to bring 3 cordless drills extra batteries and socket sets. We already have one drill so that will put 4 on site, and safety glasses, that should cover it. We will have everything else.
Please respond to this e-mail so we know who and how many are coming and so we know if this got through. It is also important to know if we are going to have trucks Saturday. Thanks. And thanks to all that have already help on this project so far.

YIS

Mike Abels