[Bsa-troop85] Summer camp journal - Sunday edition

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 20:16:53 CDT 2013

Summer camp - Sunday
Although the trip was in eventful, mr Curry seems to be serious about
returning  with only some of the scouts.  Before we were even out of the
city he  missed the turn to 75 south.   This seems to be a pattern since he
has similar trouble with the muskogee turnpike.  He decided to turn back
and get on the right road when he realized 3 of the 4 cars had followed him
and we otherwise would have failed the target retention rate of 60%.

We arrived at the camp at approximately 1:04. By some miracle of nature it
appears that at least 15 troops arrived in the  four minutes ahead of us. I
know this because I am sure they all read the instructions  saying very
clearly DO NOT  arrive before 1:00.   (For the new parents that  is your
first dose of my Sarcasm).

We will be camping ta Cheyenne.   As i saw mr curry explaining to Mr.
Gillespie the plan of which tents we would use and which we were going to
leave for the other troop..... I realize Mr Gillespie was scoping out the
tents for himself ..... so i quickly asked "do you snore."  He admitted he
did snore quite well... although i suspect he is  not as bad as Mr Newman,
he  was still ostracized to  tent at the far end of the campsite.

The fist aid kit was cracked open for blisters from wearing new boots
within the first hour at camp. No permanent injuries have occurred so far.

Hammock city has been rebuilt so that portions of the campsite look like a
spider web. The boys merit badge schedules were Distributed and meal bands
secured.  Everyone seems to be settling in just fine.   Sorry moms but
there is no sign of homesickness.

Our neighboring troop is from south Louisiana, so depending on how much
time we spend with them some of the boys make come back bilingual.

Dinner consisted of a plank of beef, corn, mashed potatoes, gravy, hostess
like cup cake and salad.  Everyone seemed to eat well.  Brennan lost his
tooth during the meal and was much happier after the loss....

The trading post after dinner suffered from week 1 jitters.  Hundreds of
campers converging on a small shop which has no change is not a pretty
sight.  (Apparently the  flood waters kept them from getting to the bank on
Friday)   Most of the boys were shooed back to camp but Ben curry was
determined to get his tickets tonight!

Summer camp Quotes of the day
>From a scout  "I thought  hale would be fun this year. " (Max Trost) last
year this same scout was heard reciting  poetry  like "how do I hate
camp?... let me count the ways".

>From an adult: "oh yeah,  I bought the shirt I'm committed".... I think we
found who will be leading the group at camp next year.