[Bsa-troop85] Summer-camp journal Monday edition

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 19:53:03 CDT 2013

Yesterday i failed to mention the boys also worked on knot tying with the
new scouts and built several camp gadgets including a fag pole, a hat rack,
weather rock and wash station. (Pictures to follow).  I was very impressed
and think it was some of the best work I've seen out of our boys.  Sunday
evening went very well.  I particularly liked garrison And Colin's hat
rack.  The cool weather at night is perfect.

We  had only one enthusiastic  camper and one supportive camper interested
in attacking the mile swim this year.  They are my son Carson and I.  So
you are not left wondering I am the supportive one not the enthusiastic
one.   Wile the weather was cool and wonderful for sleeping,  when you get
out of the lake soaking wet it is not quite as pleasant.

All of the new scouts are doing wonderfully. Everyone seems to have
listened during the tour since they have all made it to their classes on
time.  They are eating well an appear to be getting along  well with the
other boys.

Breakfast was a potato sausage egg slurry with flour tortillas  and cereal
(its not as bad as i made it sound and most boys eat it). Everyone made it
to their morning classes fine and it has warmed up quite nicely.   Lunch
consisted of hot dogs, salad and chips.  Afternoon class went well too and
the day warmed up quite a bit more.  Then warmed up some more.

Dinner was chicken, potato wedges, green beans and salad.  Desert was
yellow colored pudding (I did not partake).   Several new scouts were
headed to evening free time activities which were interrupted for a fire
drill... But they will still have an hour or more of time to swim...etc.

We have made it though our first full day without any major injury or
illness.  The boys beat down Mr Curry and he agreed to let them skip the
opening camp fire in exchange for them agreeing to sing "I've got ticks in
low places" at the closing campfire Friday.  Unbeknownst to me during the
debate I was thrown under the bus by many of the boys proclaiming "Mr Ross
hates campfire" as some sort of justification for their rebellion.     In
spite of the fact that it is true, I do hate campfire, I will get even.

Quotes of the day:

Scout-" first you said I can't have it and now you say I can?  make up your
mind ! Your just confusing me!"

Adult-"would anyone else like to cut in line in front of mr Ross? "

Interesting discussion topics overheard during the last 24 hours:

1-The economics of bagged marshmallow mateys  cereal Vs name brand lucky
charms cereal.  They  have discerning taste, but it has a price and they
all seemed to conclude the off brand bagged cereal was just as good and a
LOT less expensive.  (a scout is trifty)
2-The proper pronunciation of the word "coupon."   No consensus was
reached. (A scout is argumentative)
3-because of item #2 Debate decided to ask the opinion of the young lady
from England teaching citizenship in the world.  She agrees with Coleman
and Reese not Tyler and Davis. I also took the opportunity to ask her  how
she pronounced the word pecan.  She  said something I have never heard.

Things I learned today:
1-Davis Chappelle is a chameleon. I found myself looking for him in classes
and could be staring right at him and not see him.
2-Tammy Chaffin is nuts. After waking down and then up heart attack hill by
the trading post just to say she did it, she says "ok let me do that one
more time."
3-mrs Gillespie is quick at recognizing her husbands quotes and clicking
"no, he has not checked with his wife about summer camp next year ....   "