[Bsa-troop85] Wednesday edition summer camp journal

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:32:56 CDT 2013

There was a problem with the printing press last night so we apologize for
the late delivery of yesterday's edition.

One more day to the ham bar.

Free time last night went well with only one relatively minor injury.  One
scout tried to play like a piggy bank when one of the washers struck him on
the head.  There were several  games which continues well into the evening
by flash light.

Carson and I were the victims of a cruel and mean prank at the mile swim
today.  On Monday we were told we would do one lap on Monday, two on
Tuesday, three on Wednesday (today) and the mile on Thursday.  However this
morning just before we got in they said ... Change of plans today FOUR
laps. I was not happy and am so so so sore.

Mrs chaffin and Charlie have been staying in town. They  returned safely
again today from  the Bates Motel of Talihina.  There are very few cars at
the hotel each evening,  they are all gone early in the morning and the
office is never open.   Little creepy but going well. Mr Chaffin will be
joining us this evening.  If the terrific weather we have been having comes
to an end, we will blame him.

Breakfast was one of my personal favorites, seriously,  pancakes on a stick
with syrup.  This is basically a sausage mounted on a stick and dipped in
pancake batter.  The boys ate well.  Lunch was pepperoni pizza which in
some cases was slightly smoked, but again all ate well.   The bottom fell
out of the sky as lunch ended and the afternoon classes started.  Although
it was heavy it didn't last long and has help keep things cool.

Do you know the meaning of the  acronyms:  ABC, SAMPLE SOAP DOTS LOR PERL
OR AED?  Well then you need to check the okscots.org web site for the next
first aid training class.  Mr curry and I are in the wilderness first aid
class today and tomorrow.   Mr Ables and mr Gillespie went through regular
first aid/CPR/AED training yesterday. We have to have at least one trained
leader to go on a campout and multiples make our activities even more
prepared and safe.

 The boys will finish up merit badge classes tomorrow and all appear to be
going just fine and generally happy.   Brennan finished the instructional
part of fishing and started fly fishing skills, but is a bit frustrated
because they have not gone down to the lake to fish AT ALL.  Colin, garret
Brennan and Charlie are all going to the pool to complete their life saving
requirements for soaring to eagle.  All the others are making similar
progress.   I'm getting mixed reviews form Reese and max on horsemanship.

Ryan Lindsey was prepared and was able to provide first aid to a scout from
another troop who had cut his finger down to the bone. They asked if anyone
had their first aid kit and Ryan was the only one prepared. He got out his
gloves gauze and bandaged him up before sending him on to the quack shack
for more treatment.  He thought it was a set up at first, but blood was
dripping everywhere.   Ryan will do his wilderness survival trip
tonight<x-apple-data-detectors://1>.

Hackie sack is a popular game during free time.   An unfortunate stick bug
has been the centerpiece of the game stick the stick bug on reese.  About
half of the troop joined in a frisbee football game after dinner yesterday.

Several more care packages arrived making several more scouts happy happy
happy.

Quotes of the day:

Scout- at lunch all the scouts singing the Bon Jovi song livin on a prayer
at lunch.  Screaming it a the top of the lungs like it wasn't at least 25
years old.

Adult-

Things I learned :

1- some of the benches have sap on them which can lead to a case of sticky
butt.
2-sharing your Caramel macchiato creamer with the leaders of the adjacent
camp is like feeding a stray cat.... They come back the next day for more
like a stray cat.