[Bsa-troop85] Thursday edition summer camp journal

Richard Ross richardaggie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:29:57 CDT 2013

It's Ham Bar time!  Some of you may be wondering, just what is a ham bar?
Well at first glance it appears to be a tasty hash brown much like you
would get at McDonald's.  However after one bite you realize very quickly
 that it is not a hash brown.   It begins with a pork substrate
manufactured much like the McRib with grooves.  These grooves are filled
with an egg puree mixture and the whole thing is shrouded in a crust of
some unknown product.  They are baked and, in this writers opinion, just
terrible.    Many of the scouts appear to enjoy them and I take credit for
much of their joy since I set expectations so abysmally low.   Pictures
have been posted to Facebook an I believe more information can be found on
google.

The mile swim took Carson and I a little under an hour.    I can scratch
that off my bucket list.

Ryan Lindsey returned safely from his survival overnight.  Apparently he
had a really good time since we were asked to speak to the counselor
immediately after breakfast.   Ryan discovered that if you spray copious
amounts of bug spray on a stick and then toss it in the fire it's really
neat.   He singed his eyelashes in the process.  Maybelline has a nice
product he can use until they grow back.   The camp director suggested
parents attend future campouts to monitor this behavior.

 Today the boys should finish   up their merit badge work. Missing items
will be addressed Friday during the make up time.   We have had only minor
complaints about some staff/teachers.

Nobody has gotten dehydrated or sunburned.  Minor blisters, scrapes and the
occasional washer falling from the sky seem to be the only injuries.

The entire group was disappointed to learn their skit of singing the song
"I've got Ticks in Low Places" was REJECTED for closing camp fire  by the
camp  review board as inappropriate.  The boys seem to be recovering from
their sorrows nicely.  Counseling sessions don't appear to be necessary.

Last night the boys set up the projector (yes the boys did it).  They
watched two episodes of duck dynasty followed by ferris buellher's day off.
 They took  things down and were in bed just after 11.  It went so well
understand they may do it again tonight.

Max has started a tradition of nachos from the trading post after dinner.
 He decided he didn't want to be too full for the nachos so he skipped
diner.

Quotes of the day:

Scout- "who needs swag when you've got class."

Adult- "that was not worth it!" Referring to the complete mess you had to
make to eat the frozen fruit drink.

Things I learned :

1-  a mile is a really long way to swim
2-I'm getting really old because these kids working at camp don't remember
the miller light "taste great" NO "Less filling" commercials.
3- I asked the British counselor if, in addition to driving on the left
side of the road, they typically walk down the left (instead of right) side
of a sidewalk or hall.   She said yes they walk on be left too.
4-the UFO or in identified frozen object is the best buy at the trading
post.
5- Grandpas fire fork made by light my fire looks like a cool stocking
stuffer or gift for a scout.