[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp

Don Curry dcurry9541 at cox.net
Thu May 30 19:02:03 CDT 2013

Hello, All:

Richard did a great job with his note, but I had a few things I would like
to recommend:

1)       Gold Bond Cream - if you have a son that has ever gotten crotch
rot, get some Bag Balm or Gold Bond.  Nothing worse than walking around in a
wet swimsuit all afternoon, getting the rub, then having it hurt for days.
I know, I know.TMI.  But, they will appreciate it your having packed it for
them.

2)      Plenty of clean underwear.  Can't be sure they'll use it, but we
will make them shower every other day, at least.

3)      Books are OK.  A single pocketknife is good.  Some sisal rope for
making camp gadgets would be helpful.  NO ELECTRONICS.  They can take their
stuff in the car, but it will have to stay in the car.

4)      A hanger would be good for them to keep their Class A shirt on
between meals.

5)      Batteries for flashlights, etc.

6)      Don't really need to send snacks.  They shouldn't have extra food in
their campsite, and they will inevitably try to squirrel it in their tent.
Then, they are surprised when they wake up to a raccoon sitting on their
chest.  There are snacks there that they can buy.

7)      The more money you send, the more useless stuff they will be
bringing home.  That is a truism.  The store has some neat things, but lots
of relatively useless things, too.  They do need some cash for lunch in
McAlister for Sunday afternoon.  And likely a bit for on the way home.
Check the merit badge guide for HSR to figure out how much the merit badges
will cost.  Most don't have a cost, but some have some expense.

8)      Rain appears likely, so they NEED rain gear.

9)      Sunscreen, bug repellant, swim shoes and swim suit, towel, soap,
etc.  Hat and/or sunglasses.  Hammocks are OK for day use.  Nalgene bottle.
Camp chair.

I think that's it for now.  If you have any questions, let me know via
email, or better, call at 918 812 1844.

Don Curry