[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp Update #2

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 17:08:52 CDT 2014

Hi all!

We'll we're nearly done with our second full day of camp!  Everyone is doing well and is healthy.  And if they weren't, I would be more prepared now because I just finished a CPR and First Aid course (only got two test questions wrong, and the instructor said they were poorly written questions so your boys are in safe hands.).

A highlight last night was the opening campfire.  The theme was the Beaver vs the Unicorn (I'm not kidding).  It then went into "The Good, The Bad and the Hungry" in which a very hungry scout was on a search for the missing unicorn.  Eventually the scout made it to dinner (after ingesting part of a life preserver among other things).  Yes, you had to be there to understand it.  And it will all help our boys become happy and successful men of good character.  The only real issue with the campfire was the campfire--which never lit.  Despite having an electrical ignition (fail), a staff member with a standard BSA issue blow torch (fail) and even the leader of the advanced Outbound Course working on it (fail).  But in the end, a good time was had by all and we didn't smell like smoke.

Speaking of which, tonight we will have a fire building competition in camp (first patrol to burn through the string wins) along with skits from the older patrol leaders.  Tomorrow night the two patrols will lead the campfire.

One highlight of today was the cleaning of the bathrooms.  One young scout said, "shouldn't they have people to do that?"  Ah, see how scouts is training your boys to be men of character?  As a group they had to clean out the stalls, spray things down, and remove all the bugs, sticks, wet toilet paper, etc. that had built up over the last couple of days (I think the bugs had been there longer).  I'd give them a "B" on the job.  But they didn't have a dust pan to get things off of the ground so it was a bit tricky.

Everyone is doing great.  They are enjoying their classes and going to class (I get a print off so I know.  And I've walked around and seen most of them in one class or another).  You will be happy to know that they are getting mail (Ryand Lindsey, John Musshafen, Trey Snellings) and that you could send them more just to their name and troop number at the Tom Hale address (located on the Tom Hale website).

The weather has been great.  The kids are doing well and getting along and learning stuff.  So all is well.  And I'm hungry and need to go get ready for dinner.  I wonder what will be on the menu tonight...

Best,

--David