[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp Update #4

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 11:37:59 CDT 2014

Hi all,

Well, we're nearing the end of our week here at Tom Hale.  The boys are in classes, and fortunately both of our two Wilderness Survival merit badge boys (Colin and Hudson), who had to hike out into the woods then build and sleep under a temporary shelter, arrived back safely.  Apparently one kid on that trip (from another troop) put his hammock between two trees but didn't notice one was dead.  The boy then leaped into his hammock for the night and the dead tree fell down on him.  The boy was really shook up and they did run him to the hospital.  WE believe he had no injuries and maybe suffered some shock (not surprisingly when a tree falls on you).  The only lasting mark may be  a lifetime of post-hammock epic-failure fear.  Actually, apparently Colin did roll out of his survival structure and down a hill, but he's fine and will always have a good story to tell.

But, when Hudson came back from the survival trip he uttered words I've never heard from his mouth.  "I'm filthy and I need a shower," and he proceeded to go take one.  I'm so proud.  My boy is growing up.

Lots of boys will be finishing merit badges today.  Brennen leads the way by far and could come home with as many as 8.  Ryan Broostin was 5 for 5 on Shotgun shooting and only needed to shoot some more today to qualify, I wonder how many more he got.  The waterfront is beautiful and lots of boys are finishing water merit badges (canoeing, small boat sailing, kayaking).  Ryan Lindsey was off on his whitewater adventure today.  Paul is doing a great job leading the boys with the help of the Senior Patrol and some of the older boys (Ben, Dylan, Anton, Davis, Ryan L.).  And all and all everyone seems to be doing well.

Nothing interesting to report on the food side.  It may be hard to top ham bars and corn-doggish-waffle-sausage-on-a-stick things.

Best,

--David