[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp! June 1-7

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 17:26:50 CDT 2014

Hi Troop 85 Scouts and Parents!

Summer Camp at Camp Tom Hale is only 3.5 months away!  If you are a new scout and haven't been, you really need to go!  If you have been, you know you want to go again!

Tom Hale is a beautiful camp in southeastern Oklahoma to which troops across the region (including many from out of state) attend each summer.  You don't want to miss it!  Everything you need to know about summer camp is located in the exhaustive Camp Tom Hale Leaders Guide:  http://www.halescoutreservation.org/pdf/2014%20HSR%20Leaders%20Guide.pdf

Here are several very important items you need to consider and start planning for now:

1.  Medical Check ups.  Everyone who goes, scout and adults, must have an official BSA medical exam form signed by their doctor.  So make an appointment for that check up now since it may take some time to get in to see your doctor!  The forms are on the last few pages of the leaders guide.  Print and take them to your appointment for the doctor to sign.

2.  Dates:  We will be there June 1-7.  Include that in your summer plans!  (this is the best time of year to go, before it gets too hot).

3.  Cost:  $240/scout $190/leader (plus some for gas and snacks/optional stuff you can buy at the camp like hats, shirts, tomahawks etc.)  The troop will let you know about payment deadlines and fundraising opportunities.

4.  Adults are needed!  If you are an adult, we need you to come to Camp Tom Hale!  It's a great way to spend a week (or part of a week) with your son, and you can also attend Scouting leadership classes.  Any parent (or approved adult) can go, but you do need to have completed the BSA training and be a registered volunteer with the troop.  Only troop volunteers are allowed (ie:  parent's and other adult/guardian types cannot go and stay with their child during the week without being an official BSA volunteer).  If you can only come half of the week that will be very helpful also.  Please consider coming, Moms or Dads!  But again, to come as an adult you must go to the BSA website and register as a Troop 85 volunteer (the same as you would to go on a regular camp out) and you also must complete the official BSA medical formjust like a scout.

5.  Merit Badges and Leadership Training:  Please begin looking through the Leaders Guide to see which merit badges or other courses you would like to take.  Note:  Some badges have extra costs.

I'm sure there will be questions in the weeks to come, but please read through the Leaders Guide first and then send me your questions and I'll try to get some answers for you.

Happy Scouting!

--David Harder (Hudson and Reese's Dad)