[Bsa-troop85] Day 3 (yesterday) update.

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 12:40:10 CDT 2015

I posted this to our FB page yesterday but couldn't get it out on email until today.  Sometimes I can get to FB and sometimes email.
Day 3. Ah, this day began with flourish.  “Time to get up.  It’s Wednesday.  Wednesday is Mandatory Shower Day!  If you haven’t had a shower yet, get up andtake a shower!” said Mr. White at the crack of dawn.  Ah, such words of wisdom.  Spoken by a man with years of experience insummer camping (he was on the Hale staff back in his college days).  He told me, “We had kids we used to hose downbecause they began to smell so badly.  Idon’t think we could do that now.”  InTroop 85 everyone has to sign a “withhold from harm clause” if their scoutstarts to smell so badly and needs a proper hosing.  Look it up, it’s in the fine print.   Fortunately, none of our fine lads required the involuntaryuse of a fire-hose. Though I didn’t notice anyone rushing to the showerseither.   I can happily report that, once again, for two days in arow, no one puked in chapel (that I know of). We’ll go for day three tomorrow. That will be a record.  Today’stopic: Psalm 91 and Hansel and Gretel. On Monday I covered the fruits of the spirit and latrines.  Both of those were real topics.  Ask your boys about them.  It will be interesting to see what they remember.   Speaking of remembering…ah, breakfast.  There’s nothing quite like corn dogs forbreakfast.  Technically, I guess theywere sausage-on-a-stick dipped in pancake batter.  But they look like corn dogs.  And they are quite popular.  In a non-scientific poll of our 12 boys, 13of them ate four apiece.  Ah, meat on astick. In other news…Judah White represented Troop 85 in the lunchclimbing wall competition.  Nicely doneJudah.  He and Jonah and Colton are alltaking Wilderness Survival merit badge tonight. Intrepid Scouts they are!  This istheir very first summer camp and they are marching out tonight into the unknown,without tents. Last year one of our scouts rolled out of his lean-to and down ahill.  Another boy, in a different troop,put his hammock up and didn’t notice that one of the trees holding it was nolonger living.  So, when he eventually hoppedinto the hammock, the tree tumbled down upon him.  He was okay but did require stiches.  Don’t worry moms, this year our boys don’thave hammocks, but they do have Jonah White who has already invested his newlyminted fortune from selling para-cord survival bracelets in a 45’ RV to whichthe boys can retreat to if necessary. And, there will be plenty of survival bracelets to go around…for aprice. Meanwhile back at the campsite…the boys senior leaders havedecided having a bunch of tenderfoots around isn’t enough and that they need anothermascot.  Enter the frog whom they havenamed…something.  I can’t remember.  Trey said it was after their skeet instructorwho has an uncanny resemblance.  I amassured that no animals have been hurt in the filming of this summer camp…butsome have said they are curious what frog legs taste like.  We’re hoping (not hopping) that Bob (a placeholder name) will survive.  I’ll be stronglyencouraging that. Tonight Davis, Reese Harder and Mr. Jeremy White arerepresenting us at rifle, archery and shotgun shooting, respectively.  We had suggested Trey for archery, as he justqualified to obtain the Archery Merit Badge (which is seriously not easy). Butsince he had already spent 2 hours in the morning imitating Robin Hood, he couldn’tbear the thought of pulling back yet another bow.  We’ll see how our shooters have donetomorrow.  Hopefully none have shot Bob. I tried paddle boarding for the first time with Hudson.   It was a nice father-son activity.  I only fell off twice.  But it’s not bad floating in the middle of alake when you can look up and see a mountain in the near distance.  Alas, such beautiful moments can be easily brokenwhen you hear your son laughing at you.  Hedidn’t fall in at all. Ah, these are the moments you remember. More tomorrow (hopefully