[Bsa-troop85] What is a Board of Review?

Paul Marsh paul at marshstudios.com
Mon Mar 23 17:34:56 CDT 2015

Many of our scouts are advancing in rank, and will be recognized at the upcoming Court of Honor on April 13.

There are just three meetings left before the court of Honor, and the last requirement for each rank is a Board of Review.

A Board of Review consists of a minimum of three adults (not parents of the boy, or the scoutmaster) and the scout earning the rank.
The scout sits on one side of the table facing the adults. The adults use this time to have a conversation with the scout about what they learned while working on that rank, they ask some specific questions about certain requirements, and have the scout give feedback about how things are going in the troop.
It is similar to a job interview, but their advancement does not hinge on how many questions they can answer or if they “perform” well or not.
(If there is serious reason why a boy shouldn’t be promoted in rank, the adults can discuss it, but that is not the purpose of a Board of Review.)

Scouts finishing up their ranks will need to conduct their Board of Review before the Court of Honor, if they want to be recognized and earn their rank.

If your son needs to do this, please encourage him to make plans and be proactive to get this done.
At the regular scout meeting, the boys will need to find available adults and ask them if they would sit on their board of review. There may be cases where all of the available adults are already committed for that meeting.

This is a great opportunity for adults to come to the Monday scout meetings and help us out. We can always use adults to sit on a Board of Review. It is a great way to get to know the other scouts in your son’s troop.

If you have any questions, you’re welcome to contact me.

Paul Marsh
Marsh Studios
PO BOX 851
JENKS, OK 74037