[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp Reminders

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 11:44:10 CDT 2015

Hi Troop 85-Summer Camp Attendees,
This is a reminder to please complete your Boy Scout Physicals!  We only have two weeks before camp!  I have only received a few of them.  Please have your pediatrician complete the form.  Adult leaders have to also complete one.  The form is available on this page (use the summer camp one): http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/ahmr.aspx
Also be sure you look at the list of items to bring to camp on the Leader's Guide: http://www.halescoutreservation.org/leadersguide.asp First time summer camp attendees:  be sure to have a cot.  We don't use these on our monthly campouts, but for a week you really need one and the tents are larger and have a wooden floor so they work well.  It is nice to have a box or locker to put your gear in--Walmart has action packers that work well.  I've also used just a storage box. Try to get a box that will fit underneath the cot.  Not all boxes will fit underneath and that makes it hard to move around in the tent.
Regarding money and medicines:  For money for merit badges and spending money--please put it into a durable envelope with your scout's name on it and amounts listed.  I'll keep the money and distribute it as they ask.  The boys can keep their own spending money if they wish.  One thing to keep in mind (sadly) there are occasionally thieves at camp. Last year we had a boy who was pick pocketed during a merit badge class and later found his wallet thrown into the woods.  One time they set a sting to catch a kid who was stealing things out of boy's day packs. So it's best not to carry a lot of money.  $25-$30 is plenty for spending money (approx$5/day), but they don't half to have that much, but most of the kids like to buy drinks, snacks, other items.

For medicines:  I can distribute them, but the meds need to be clearly labeled with the scout's name/doctor/amount and time to administer.  And you have to include a letter that I, or one of the other Scout Dads--Paul Marsh or Jeremy White, has your permission to distribute them.

Portable projector:  If anyone has one you would like to loan out, we could have a movie night or two.  I'd want to watch some interesting/inspiring films so I would be open to suggestions (if we get a projector).
The leader's guide has most of the information you need.  We'll send more info later on times for leaving--but I think we'll try to prep the trailer on an earlier day then meet at the north parking lot of Jenks South East (101st and Yale) at 8:30 on Sunday the 31st to load up and try to depart around 9:00.  We meet there instead of at St. James because church will be in session.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks!
--David