[Bsa-troop85] Summer Camp--thoughts on cell phones

David Harder davidlharder at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 15:27:16 CDT 2015

Hi Troop 85 Tom Hale Scouts!
It looks like we will have a nice break in the weather next week, so it should be a good week for summer camp!

I wanted to mention something about cell phones.  I would prefer if you didn't bring them.  Here's why:
1.  They don't really work at camp.  It's located far from most cell phone towers.  Only US Cellular phones work in the campsite.  Other phones occasionally work from random places at random times.  Last year we had a Scout call his parents but the cell phone cut out before the conversation finished.  That caused the parents to worry that something was wrong and called the camp.  The camp doctor came to our campsite late in the evening to see if anything was wrong.
2.  Cell phones can be easily lost/stolen/broken during a week of active outdoor activities.
3.  They really shouldn't be needed!  We are going camping so it should be a break from all the technology that our lives in the 2010's are inundated with.
If you do want your Scout to have their phone, please let me or Paul know that they will be bringing one.  We can keep them in our vehicles and they could use them on the ride back home to contact parents.
Best,
--David