[Bsa-troop85] Campout Info - Spavinaw State Park - and information on merit badges available at Bass Pro Shop

Don Curry dcurry9541 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 08:32:42 CDT 2014

Hello All:

I have been on vacation in New Mexico where apparently T-Mobile has no
presence.  I got spotty reception, if at all.

There have been some questions about the campout this week that I want to
address and every boy should have a signed consent form (attached) that we
will take with us.

If your son and yourself cannot make it the full time due to other
obligations, that is fine.  Spavinaw State Park is close - only about an
hour away near Locust Grove.  Just let me know when we should expect you and
how many and for how long.  That way we'll keep an eye open for you and know
if you will be a part of a meal.

Some ideas for what to bring:

Sleeping bags, sleeping pads, sandals for the water, eating utensils,
Nalgene for water, appropriate clothing including footwear - no sandals
other than for water shoes, no snacks other than what was included in the
grocery purchase for the patrol, medications, perhaps a small amount of
spending cash (though we rarely go anywhere to use it while camping),
fishing gear, swim shorts, sun block, mosquito repellent, writing utensil
and scout book.

The troop has tents and cooking gear.

The procedure will be to meet at the church at 5:30pm and pack the trailer.
We will attempt to be under way by 6pm.  We will arrive at Spavinaw
approximately 7:15 and unpack the trailer, set up the camp, have a snack
(which we call cracker barrel) and close out the evening.  Tomorrow will be
breakfast, swimming, fishing, cooking, etc.  Sunday will be breakfast,
packing up, and on our way home.  We should get back sometime near 10:15 as
a guess.  The boys will call when we are close.

We always travel in full Scout Uniform.  That doesn't mean neckerchief and
slide, but socks, shorts, shirt, belt (when there isn't one on the shorts),
hiking shoes.  Gear should be in a backpack.

This will be a fun and relaxed campout.  Everyone should have a good time.

If your son is a picky eater, they will get over that.  If they are
stubborn, they will starve.  But, it is only a couple of days so they will
not be harmed.  My experience is that they quickly get past picky.  If your
son has food allergies, hopefully that was already addressed in the menu
prep, but it would be good if you let me know.

Here is some additional information on merit badge opportunities in
September through Bass Pro Shops.  It might be fun, but register early.

"We are pleased to announce the 2014 Boy Scout Month at Bass Pro Shops;
"Providing a Compass for Life!" This promotion will last the entire month of
September.  Visit the Merit Badge Class Schedule and call Customer Service
at the Bass Pro Shop to register for each class. Class sizes are limited.

Bass Pro ShopsR is offering two merit badge

classes for Scouts.

Classes are taught at the store on Tuesdays and Thursdays

beginning at 6pm according to the following schedule:

Tuesday, September 2 Fishing

Thursday, September 4 Rifle Shooting

Tuesday, September 9 Rifle Shooting

Thursday, September 11 Fishing

Tuesday, September 16 Fishing

Thursday, September 18 Rifle Shooting

Tuesday, September 23 Rifle Shooting

Thursday, September 25 Fishing

Class size is limited!

Register at Customer Service or

call the store and register over the phone."

That's it for now.  See you tonight!

Yours in Scouting,

Don Curry